Friday, February 14, 2014

Downton Abbey Bordeaux Blanc


Yup, you read that right. Downton Abbey has a WINE now. Actually, there are two of them. The first question you might be inclined to ask upon learning of this is: why? It's not like these wines are made at Highclere Castle, or even in Britain, for that matter. The two Bordeaux, Blanc and Claret, are French (you know, from the Bordeaux region...), and were merely *inspired* by the show. I think the idea is, as you watch Carson decant a fine Bordeaux for the Crawleys to ignore at their fancy-pants dinner party, that you'll reach for a glass of your own. Yay Capitalism!!


Okay, I'll admit it. I got a bottle. I'm a big fan of the show. And while I think a DA-inspired wine is SUPER hokey, I kinda HAD to. Don't judge me. Let's call this week's installment Lessons in Faux-Sophistication... Ready class? Pinkies up!!

Go ahead and judge a book by its cover with this one. As far as labels go, it's pretty, with it's gold border and pencil-wrought Highclere Castle prominently displayed. The Blanc is a very pale yellow in color, which to me seems classier than an apple juice colored white. Dark yellow colored white wines just make me think of dehydration...speaking of classy...

I had the Blanc at room temperature, which was perfectly fine, but I did wonder if the flavors would be more prominent if I had been patient enough to chill it first. The begining of the sip was surprisingly crisp for a luke-cold wine, and there were definite citrus notes and a tad more sweetness than I was expecting. Fairly acidic and reasonably oak-free, this one's a real cheek-tweeker with a bit of pleasing metalic bite to it.

I'll take this one. :)
I had my DA Blanc with taco salad (seasoned chicken, lettuce, brown rice, black beans, sharp cheddar and tons of salsa), which was a pretty good combination, odd as it may seem. And that's a good thing, because I'm about as classy as a monster truck rally. No crudite or caviar for me!

If you want to try it for yourself, pick up a bottle at PWC (chill it!) and crack it open this Sunday at 9!

Price: $

My Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment